Petworth Schooling Course is now closed for the winterHowever, we are aiming to be open for this February half term. Keep an eye on here as well as our social media for updates!
Set in the beautiful South Downs National Park, P.S.C. is an easily accessed, friendly training venue near Petworth, West Sussex. Our aim is to provide a place for everyone to feel welcome, from the novice to the more experienced. Using knowledge from members of the P.S.C. team and technical support from Adrian Ditcham, (designer of the London 2012 Olympic cross-country course), we have something for all.
There are a good variety of jumps and obstacles, spread across the 15 acres of the site. These range from 60cm to 100cm, using the fantastic natural undulations to enhance the flow of the course, giving a real cross country feel. A mixture of portable and permanent features, including water run through, steps, corners of varying sizes, logs, steps, ditches and new for 2019, a large water complex. In addition to these, we boast a splendid uphill, 400m training gallops; perfect for interval training to get both horse and rider fitter, or learn the principles of pace over distance at whatever level you are competing.
The course rules and equine flu vaccination policy are available at the Rules page - please familiarise yourself with them before your visit.
All individual bookings are made on line via this website, leaving you free to enjoy your trip to us knowing all the details are taken care of. We very much welcome all Pony Clubs, Riding Clubs and Riding Schools to talk to us about group training, so that we can discuss details and bulk discounts. If you are a local coach and wanting to organise sessions, get in touch using the Contact Us page to see what we can do.
If you would like to hire the gallops only, please send us a message using the Contact Us page.
P.S.C is found on the A272, just on the east side of Petworth. We have direct access off the main road, meaning driving a lorry or a trailer is easy and with our electric entrance gate, the start of your visit couldn't be simpler.
- Saturday 13th - We are excited to host another of our fun XC Clear Round mornings in conjunction with LLPC. This is a great opportunity to try a marked course around the jumps here at Petworth. Pay on the day, turn up and go have some fun. Riders can repeat jumps, skip t
- Friday 10th - Adult Camp hosted by Zoe Duffy. Contact direct to her to book on 07909667850.
- Saturday 11th - Zoe Duffy Adult Camp
- Sunday 12th - Zoe Duffy Adult Camp
- Thursday 15th - LLPC Junior Camp
- Friday 16th - LLPC Mushroom and Junior Camp
- Saturday 17th - LLPC Mushroom and Junior Camp
- Sunday 18th - LLPC Mushroom and Junior Camp
Friday 23rd -
Adult CampThis year we are running over three days in August, Friday 23rd, Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th. To receive booking forms, please use the contact us page of the website
This camp is open to all riders, so whether you are looking to sharpen up your competitive skills, fine tune you and your horse's connection, or simply want to spend a few days enjoying your horse without the stresses of everyday life, we have something for you.
We are offering six training sessions over the three days which will be in groups of between 3 - 5 riders for 1 hour each, except for cross country which will be longer. Each day you will have 2 sessions and can pick from the following:
- Day 1 - Dressage, Flatwork with poles, Fitness training on the gallops, or Showjumping.
- Day 2 - In Hand, Flatwork with poles, Fitness training on the Gallops, or Cross Country.
- Day 3 - Dressage test riding, Cross Country, Gridwork, Flatwork with poles.
Feel free to choose any combination of training sessions for your own goals and ambitions. However, please be mindful of you and your horse's fitness. Groups will be assigned based upon the abilities of horse and rider.
Training will be under the guidance of Kate Pheasant, Liz Eaton and Simon Luck.
Horse accommodationThe first 20 riders to book will be able to use the purpose built 15x18ft wooden corrals. After the initial 20 places have been filled, additional riders will be able to corral their horses in electric fenced corrals.
The corrals will be split so that mares and geldings are kept separate.
PSC can provide haylage at an additional cost.
Hand grazing areas will also be available.
There is plenty of hard standing for lorry/trailers however we are not able to provide electric hook up. There is space for camping, with onsite toilets available.
Riders can stay off site during the camp as long as they have a designated person who is fully responsible for their horse when they are not on site. Riders must inform the camp organisers who their designated person is.
Dining provided by Moveable FeastsFood is once again supplied by our favourite caterer, Erica of Moveable Feasts. We will provide meals Friday lunch/ evening, Saturday breakfast/ lunch/ evening and Sunday breakfast/ lunch.
Tea, Coffee, and snacks available throughout the day
All diets can be catered for so please let us know any dietary requirements on the camp forms
Catering is for riding attendees only.
Evening activitiesWe plan to have evening activities both Friday and Saturday evenings and encourage everyone to sit together for an evening drink and catch up.
Cost is £375 per rider
The price is fully inclusive of
- Six training sessions
- Hire of all equestrian facilities
- Corralling for your horse
- WC facilities
- Dining as listed above
- Evening activity
- Saturday 24th - Adult camp
- Sunday 25th - Adult camp
- All riders must wear a hat conforming to current safety standards whilst mounted.
- All riders must wear a body protector conforming to current safety standards whilst on the course.
- All riders under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- It is recommended that all riders are accompanied during their visit to P.S.C.
- No dogs are allowed on the course whatsoever.
- All accidents/ incidents/ damage, must reported to P.S.C.
- No lead rein cross country jumping allowed.
- It is expected that all those teaching/ coaching, will have the relevant insurances.
- All riders agree to 'The Disclaimer' as part of using the facilities of P.S.C.
- Enjoy yourself and tell your friends!
It is expected that all equines visiting P.S.C will have a valid vaccination record, with the most recent within a twelve month period. Anyone attending events organised by P.S.C will be asked to show the relevant documents on arrival. It is the full responsibility of owners to ensure horses and ponies are in good health before travelling.
Petworth Schooling Course do not accept any liability for any accident, loss, damage, injury or illness to any riders, horses or ponies, owners, spectators, coaches/ instructors, property, vehicles and their contents and accessories or any other person or property whatsoever, whether caused by their negligence, breach of contract or in any other way whatsoever.
Petworth Schooling Course have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the health and safety of everyone who come on site. Please ensure that all users have read and understood these statements and the rules of the course (available both on line and are displayed on site) and are fully aware of their own responsibility for their safety and welfare whilst on site. If it is considered that anyone is in breach of the course rules or is generally acting in a negligent or irresponsible fashion, they may be asked to leave.
By agreeing to this disclaimer you are giving your consent to abide by any rules, signage and/ or directions given by Petworth Schooling Course or anyone acting on their behalf. It is expected that the person making the booking has made all those they are booking for, aware of this disclaimer and its intent and therefore all those who enter the site, are giving their agreement to the above terms.
Our address is
You can see our location on the map below.